Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Guest Post by Verity Ant, Author of Master's Hunt

Dominance: Kevin versus Christian

Guest post by Verity Ant

Before I get started, I want to offer my thanks for having me here today. I applaud January for sharing a different kind of romance with her readers. Thank you, January.

Fictional heroes in erotic romance novels have a lot in common. For this article, I'd like to briefly compare and contrast two fictional heroes who are popular right now: Kevin, from Master's Hunt (Verity Ant) and Christian Grey, from Fifty Shades of Grey (E L James). They're both smart, successful, respected, physically fit and able to defend themselves, and are more than a little pleasing to the eye. But are they both Dominant, as they are purported to be?

Christian says clearly in the first book of the trilogy, "I'm a Dominant." But is he? He is a controlling person, without a doubt, but his dominance fades away over the course of the trilogy, until he's giving in to Ana's every whim. He loses control of a 22 year old woman who has virtually no relationship experience. How Dominant is that?

In Master's Hunt, Kevin's relationships have all been based on Dominance and submission. We have the sense that this is so much a part of him that nothing else would satisfy him. Dominance an ingrained part of his nature. A woman who seeks to change him, as Ana does to Christian, would be rejected by Kevin out of hand. He never has to say he's a Dominant, he shows it instead. He does not apologize for his strength of character. Kevin is a natural dominant, not a vanilla or submissive guy who's posing in order to build up his ego.

I could go on and on about these two, showing their contrasts, and Kevin's honesty and consistency would show him to be the stable and responsible character he is. He's not perfect--who is?--but he isn't wishy washy either. When I look at these characters, at the contrasts and similarities, I much prefer Kevin. A strong man who knows what he wants and doesn't allow an immature and demanding female take over his life is a lot more appealing to me.

You can meet Kevin and his two submissive women, Renee and Amiko, in Master's Hunt, my recently released novel. Get it at No Boundaries Press, where they have all the formats for you to choose from.

Master's Hunt Book Trailer



Master's Hunt Blog Tour Contest:


Verity is having a blog tour contest! She's giving away one GRAND PRIZE to one commentor. GRAND PRIZE is a $25 Gift Certificate to the Pleasure Chest online.  She is also offering two SECOND PRIZE giveaways to two other commentors. SECOND PRIZE is an Amazon Gift Card for $10. All giveaways allow for multiple entries. (Commenting on one blog gets you one entry, two blogs two entries, etc.)

15 comments:

  1. I loved Kevin! As a writer, you need to show off your characters not tell the reader. And Verity does that with Kevin. He's fun, complex, dominant, determined and focused on 'the hunt.' Hear more from Verity tomorrow nite on Erotica III on my show..The Author's Corner..at www.trianglevarietyradio.com at 8PM EDT - she's my co-host!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be a great show, Elaine. I do think E L James has a lot of writing issues to work through, but it hasn't stopped her from blushing and giggling all the way to the bank. Thanks for coming by to comment.

      Delete
  2. I really must read 50 Shades, if only so I will be able to navigate through the many articles and blog posts that reference it. I wondered what the title referred to. Now it seems it perhaps refers to Christian--who seems 50 shades less solid than Kevin. Great, insightful post, Verity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A book that's selling in the millions (both copies and dollars) is a big promotional target for those of us who haven't hit the author lottery. I'm as guilty as the next person on that. :) On my blog, my Dom, Derek, has a post from the Dom's perspective that looks at 50 Shades in a critical way ( http://painful-ecstasy.blogspot.com/2012/03/fifty-shades-doms-perspective.html ). It's had literally thousands of hits and continues to get hundreds more every week. I think that authors of erotica and people who live a BDSM lifestyle need to speak out about 50 Shades in light of so many other, better books out there. I appreciate your thoughtful comment, ma'am, thank you.

      Delete
  3. It's great to be here on January's blog. Thanks, January, for having me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No doubt Verity - your hero would be a true dominant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But of course, Daryl! No amount of torture would make me say otherwise. Though...I might like the attempt. LOL

      Delete
  5. I haven't read the 50 trilogy, but have heard very little good about it. I think your Kevin sounds like a much more intereting character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't say that the Fifty Shades trilogy isn't worth reading. A lot of people seem to be getting a kick from it. I WILL say that it's poorly written, poorly edited, and severely lacks in anything like research into BDSM. I leave it to readers to make their choices. Some people will read it simply because it's popular; lemmings will fall off cliffs for the same reason. Kevin is more realistic and sexy, even if I do say so myself. :) Thank you for coming by and commenting!

      Delete
  6. Interesting post and comparison of Kevin and Christian!

    I read the first two of the Fifty Shades trilogy many months before the current hype and read the third after the hype began. Did I enjoy them? Yes. Are they well written, researched and edited? No. Are there better erotica books out there? Without a doubt! Have I read better erotica books before and after Fifty Shades? Most certainly!

    But, have the Fifty Shades books helped the romance genre in general and erotica specifically? Hell yes! If nothing else, it has people talking about the genre, maybe even enjoying it, and hopefully trying to find other authors.

    I’ve been going to the same salon to get my hair done for the better part of 10 years. Rarely are books ever talked about but since the Fifty Shades hype started these books seem to come up every time I’m at the salon. I’m loving it because people are talking which gives me the opportunity to suggest other, better authors and their books.

    Now, I haven’t read Master’s Hunt, yet. But, I have been following and enjoying the His Good Girl posts on the blog and after watching the book trailer, I think Master’s Hunt has just moved to the top of the TBR pile. (Great trailer, by the way!)

    I’m looking forward to the radio show tomorrow!

    Lori

    I read Breaking Toys a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Lori! Thanks! You made my day. (And it was a tough day, too, so that was very, very welcome.) I hope you enjoy Master's Hunt. If you liked Breaking Toys, I suspect you'll like it too.

      Delete
  7. I really want to read Master's Hunt! It's at the top of my wish list right now!

    Michelle V
    romanceinreview(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Michelle. You're entered in the drawing. Good luck! As for getting Master's Hunt, I highly recommend going to No Boundaries Press for it rather than Amazon or B&N. NBP has better formatting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great prize giveaway. I'd really love to win. Master's Hunt is going on my list for sure.
    luvfuzzzeeefaces at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have not read the 50 Shades books, I will probably read the first in the future but I am not in any big rush to try it. Now your book, MASTER'S HUNT, is on my must read soon list, lol. I am trying to knock out a few books that I already have before buying more, but I don't know how long I can wait.
    manning_j2004 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete